This playlist is relatively short; I had originally intended on coming up with ten songs that had “thanks” or “thank you” in the title, but I only found six. When I looked at the six, I realized that yeah, I have a lot to be thankful for, and that the songs I had chosen tied in with what I’m thankful for.
- Thank You – Led Zeppelin: This beautiful song captures the way I feel about Mary, for whom I’m thankful every minute of every day.
- Thank You For Being A Friend – Andrew Gold: Naturally, with my obsession with TV themes, I immediately associate this one with The Golden Girls. In fact, until today I didn’t realize the theme was an actual complete song. When I was in the hospital after my stroke, one of the TV stations they had was (I think) Lifetime, and they must have shown half a dozen reruns of this every day. I think that stay in the hospital made me truly appreciate being alive, and I’m thankful to the doctors and staff at Wellstar Kennestone Hospital for helping me get back on my feet, and for working things out for us financially because I was two weeks away from my insurance with my new company at the time kicking in.
- Thank You Fallettinme Be Mice Elf Again – Sly and the Family Stone: Of course, this one is for my family. I tell people that I was born a Gypsy and stolen by a roving band of Irish schoolteachers, but really, I’m eternally grateful to them for putting up with me and for making me what I am today (
whatever that is).
- Thank You For The Music – ABBA: Music is an enormous part of my life, as I’m sure you’ve figured out by now. I miss playing the guitar, at least to the degree I was playing before the stroke, but I’m thankful to all the people who make the music, who write it, and who post a lot of it on YouTube so I can share it with you.
- Thanks For The Memory – Bob Hope and Shirley Ross: From “The Big Broadcast of 1938.” This is for the memories I have, good and bad, that provide me with lots of things to talk about here. It’s also for comedians like Bob Hope who have brought me lots of laughs and good times all my life.
- I Thank You – Sam and Dave: This is for my cats, both past and present. I’ve already said, if I get to Heaven and they aren’t there waiting for me, I ain’t going in. There’s a crowd waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge, and Pope Francis did say they’d be there…
I got through the whole list, and I realized I forgot one of the most important things I’m thankful for: YOU, my readers. You make doing this worthwhile. So, let me share one more song, which I didn’t include in the playlist because (a) it doesn’t have “thanks” or “thank you” in the title and (b) it’s from a Christmas movie. Here are Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney, from the movie “White Christmas,” with “Count Your Blessings Instead Of Sheep.”
That’s Monday’s Music Moves Me for November 23, 2015. Thanks for watching!