I started out doing a playlist of “sun ” songs, then realized we had already done one. Then, “moon” songs, and discovered we did that one, too. Finally, I checked “star,” and BINGO!
There are at least as many songs with “star” in the title as “sun” and “moon,” so here are ten of them, and see what you can do about the rest.
- Jo Stafford, “Stardust” A song that’s become a standard over the years, written by Hoagy Carmichael and here performed by one of my favorite female vocalists.
- Oliver, “Good Morning Starshine” From the musical Hair, Oliver had a #3 hit in the US and a #5 in the UK in October 1969.
- Deep Purple, “Highway Star” First track on their early-70’s Machine Head, featuring some great guitar by Ritchie Blackmore and organ by Jon Lord.
- The Buggles, “Video Killed The Radio Star” Best known as the first video MTV featured when it came on the air. Wonder what the last one was?
- Frank Sinatra, “Swinging On A Star” For Uncle Jack, who loves Sinatra. Bing Crosby had a hit with it as well.
- Crosby, Stills & Nash, “Dark Star” From their 1977 album CSN.
- Vince Guaraldi, “Star Song” With Brazilian guitarist Bola Sete,
- The Guess Who, “Star Baby” From the 1974 album Road Food, it’s included on later versions of The Best of The Guess Who. Features some great slide guitar work by Kurt Winter.
- The Manhattans, “Shining Star” I was looking for the next song and found this one, which I had forgotten about. From their 1980 album After Midnight, it reached #5 on the pop chart and #4 on the R&B chart.
- Earth, Wind & Fire, “Shining Star” From their 1975 album That’s The Way Of The World, this was the band’s first major hit, reaching #1 on both the pop and R&B charts.
Your turn! I already know one of them…
That’s the Friday 5×2 for March 30, 2018.