I didn’t think I could find ten Easter songs. Unlike Christmas, there aren’t a whole lot of songs for the holiday. The religious songs I found were primarily about Good Friday. Still, I found a couple of treasures I didn’t know were there, and ended up with eleven. Well, ten, since one is repeated, and I’ll explain why in a minute.
- UPA, “Peter Cottontail” You might remember UPA’s take on “Frosty The Snowman”. Well, here’s their similar treatment for this song that’s popular around Easter.
- Gene Autry, “Peter Cottontail” On listening to the last song, I realized the lyrics were a bit different from the ones I remember, so I included “The Singing Cowboy’s” version.
- Bing Crosby, “Easter Parade” The Irving Berlin classic, which Bing sang in Easter Parade, but also sang in Holiday Inn.
- Ray Anthony, “The Bunny Hop” Ray Anthony wrote this and it was a hit in 1950. This particular recording was taken from his TV show in 1953, which was sponsored by Chesterfield cigarettes, my mother’s brand.
- Gene Autry, “Easter Mornin'” Gene recorded a few Easter songs, including this and the next one.
- Gene Autry, “The Horse With The Easter Bonnet” A classic bit of silliness, the kind kids like me liked (and still do).
- Rosemary Clooney, “My Choc’late Rabbit” As well as being a wonderful singer, Rosemary was mom to several kids with Jose Ferrer, so of course she did a few kids’ records.
- Rosemary Clooney, “Eggbert The Easter Egg” Another cute song from George Clooney’s aunt.
- Nat King Cole, “Easter Sunday Morning” Some classic Nat King Cole to celebrate the day.
- King’s College Choir, “Jesus Christ Is Risen Today” The classic Easter hymn, the only one most people know. I wanted to find a Catholic choir singing it, but found this and decided High Church Anglican would do.
- Stanford Olsen and The Mormon Tabernacle Choir, “The Holy City” Found this and thought it was appropriate. Stanford has a beautiful voice, I think you’ll agree. It’s one of my favorite songs.
And that’s Monay’s Music Moves Me for April 9, 2018.