So, the plan for today was go to the dentist, get the new tooth screwed into the implant, go immediately to the periodontist so he can have a look and give it his blessing, everything would be fine and the world would once again be made of donuts.
It started out great: the dentist had my new tooth, which fit well in the gap that’s been sitting there since last year at this time. All she has to do is screw it in. She gets all the tools together and starts using this tiny torque wrench to tighten everything. And she tightents, and tightens, changes tools, tightens again… the next thing I know, she untightens it and takes it out of my mouth, saying she needs to try it on the model.
She comes back a couple of minutes later and explains that she couldn’t tighten it to the appropriate level of torque. She explains that she needs to get the torque up to 35, and the highest she can get it is 15. Her answer is to clear away part of the porcelain around the screw hole so she can get the things seated. So, she drills and drills and drills some more, then decides that’s for the birds, puts the healing abutment (the piece the periodontist put in after he saw that the implant was good) back in, and tells me that she has to order a new replacement tooth and a new piece for her torque wrench, and that when she has all the pieces she’ll call me and we can set up another appointment.
So, I’m back where I started.
The silver lining is that Mary and I went out to lunch and are now having coffee, because neither of us wanted to go home. So it could have been worse…