It’s that time of year again! That’s right, this week is BLACK FRIDAY!!
Just kidding, although that is this Friday. No, this week is Thanksgiving, when we thank Our Creator for all the blessings bestowed on us and eat lots of turkey and stuffing (we have ribs and mac & cheese) and sit around all day watching football and the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, the end of which celebrates the reason for the season, SANTA CLAUS!!
Again, just kidding….
I always have trouble with this, and always have to cannibalize whatever Thanksgiving playlists I’ve used in the past to complete the assignment. This year is no different, although some of them are different. Anyway, here’s my Thanksgiving 2018 playlist.
- Sam & Dave, “I Thank You” Sam Moore and Dave Prater made some sweet soul music for Stax in the ’60’s and beyond. “I Thank You” was written and produced by Isaac Hayes and David Porter.
- Sly & The Family Stone, “Thank You (Falletinme Be Mice Elf Again)” Funk was almost invented by Sly and his Family, for which we should all be grateful.
- Frankie Valli, “Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You” It seems like this topped the WLS Silver Dollar Survey forever in ’68 and ’69. A beautiful love song that has the singer thanking God he’s alive. I feel that way these days.
- ABBA, “Thank You For The Music” I had to include this, because I play so much music here.
- Bob Hope and Shirley Ross, “Thanks For The Memory” Bob Hope was an amazing guy, and a great American, even though he was born in England. He spent his Christmases entertaining US service members for years. That’s dedication and selflessness. This was his theme song.
- OCP Session Choir, “Now Thank We All Our God” I was talking to Mary about this week’s theme, and she said “you ought to have a couple of good old Catholic drinking songs.” So I found this one and the next. Interestingly enough, most of the good old hymns were Lutheran.
- OCP Session Choir, “Come, Ye Thankful People, Come” OCP is Oregon Catholic Press. These are songs from one of their hymnals, Journeysongs.
- Adam Sandler and Kevin Nealon, “The Thanksgiving Song” Figured we needed some levity here.
- Andrew Gold, “Thank You For Being A Friend” You will, of course, recognize this as the theme song for The Golden Girls. I think I mentioned once that I watched a lot of GG reruns when I was in the hospital.
- Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney, “Count Your Blessings” From
Holiday InnWhite Christmas (thanks, Ed!), which also starred Danny Kaye and Vera-Ellen. One of those songs that really gets to you.
And that’s Monday’s Music Moves Me for November 19, 2018.