We’re up to week 3 of this year’s Xmas Music Xtravaganza, so let’s get right to it!
- Los Straitjackets, “Linus and Lucy” Maybe my favorite version of this, by Los Straitjackets, who do this a la surf.
- Fats Domino, “Frosty The Snowman” Eugenia suggested this one, and when I heard it I just had to put it in the list. Thanks, Eugenia!
- Seymour Swine and The Sqeelers, “Blue Christmas” For Birgit, who said “you ought to include Porky Pig singing ‘Blue Christmas’.” I aim to please.
- Ray Stevens, “Santa Claus Is Watchin’ You” He’s ever’where! He’s ever’where!
- Thurl Ravenscroft, “You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch” The voice of Tony The Tiger (spokestiger for Kellogg’s Sugar Frosted Flakes: “They’re GR-R-REAT!) does an extended version of this, from the TV special How The Grinch Stole Christmas.
- Joe Diffie, “Leroy The Redneck Reindeer” Jeff Foxworthy defines being a redneck as “having an elegant lack of sophistication.” So does this video.
- The Barking Dogs, “Jingle Bells” This came out in the late ’60’s or early ’70’s and it still cracks me up.
- Mel Blanc, “Yah Das Ist Ein Christmas Tree” If you’ve ever been at a German restaurant and they’ve brought out the Schnitzelbank, you’ll understand this one.
- Stan Freberg, “Nuttin’ For Christmas” Stan Freberg did some of the funnier radio bits in the ’50’s and ’60’s, when radio was still a thing.
- Jimmy Buffett, “Mele Kalikimaka” For Lloyd, Pat, Liana and the rest of my Hawai’ian friends.
And that’s Monday’s Music Moves Me for December 17, 2018.