I thought I’d celebrate the birthdays of a few people whose birthday is today. And if today is your birthday, happy birthday!
- Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, “Siegfried Funeral Music (from Götterdämmerung)” Sir Georg Solti (RIP 1997), who directed the VPO in this, was born on this day in 1912. For many years he was the conductor of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
- Dizzy Gillespie, “A Night In Tunisia” Dizzy Gillespie (RIP 1993) was born on this day in 1917. A member of bebop’s royalty.
- Theme Song to The Honeymooners Joyce Randolph, who played Trixie Norton on The Honeymooners, was born on October 21, 1924.
- Terry Cashman, “Talkin’ Baseball (Yankees version)” Hall of Fame pitcher Whitey Ford, who played for the New York Yankees from 1950 to 1967, was born on this day in 1928.
- Derek Bell, “Carolan’s Favourite” Irish harpist Derek Bell (RIP 2002), who played with The Chieftains, was born 84 years ago today (1935).
- Manfred Mann, “The Mighty Quinn” Today is Manfred Mann’s birthday; he was born on this date in 1940.
- Booker T. & The M. G.’s, “Green Onions” Guitarist Steve Cropper has a birthday today; he was born in 1941.
- Elvin Bishop, “Hey Good Lookin'” Guitarist Elvin Bishop, who got his start with the Butterfield Blues Band in the ’60’s, celebrates birthday #77 today.
- Chicago, “Call On Me” Chicago’s trumpeter Lee Loughnane was born on this day in 1946. “Call On Me” was the first song he wrote for the band; it appeared on Chicago VII.
- John Williams, “Star Wars (Main Theme)” Carrie Fisher (RIP 2016), who played Princess Leia in the original Star Wars movies and in one of the later movies, was born the year I was and would have been 63 if she hadn’t died tragically several years ago. She was the daughter of Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds, who died a day after her daughter did.
And that’s Monday’s Music Moves Me for October 21, 2019.