Stephen T. McCarthy, one of the people who started Battle of the Bands, and I swapped challenge ideas. I’m not sure when he’ll be doing the idea I gave him, but I’m going to use the one he gave me today. We have two songs of different genres (one “yacht rock,” the other “hard Christian rock”) named “Doing Nothing.” Well, one’s really “Doin’ Nothin’,” but close enough for Battle of the Bands. Give these two songs a listen…
Guitarist extraordinaire Phil Keaggy has something in common with another guitarist extraordinaire, Jerry Garcia: Both are missing half of the middle finger on their right hand. “Doin’ Nothin'” is off his sixteenth studio album, 1993’s Crimson and Blue.
Bruce Blackman is the former lead singer and keyboardist for the band Starbuck. He now is doing well as a solo artist and has two albums and an EP or two to his credit. “Doing Nothing” is from his first solo album, Moonlight Feels Right 2014.
So, those are the songs. Here’s what I’d like you to do:
- Listen to the two songs.
- Decide which song you like the best.
- Vote for your favorite by leaving me a comment with your choice. If you feel like telling us why, feel free.
- Then, visit the other participants and vote in their Battles:
* Stephen at STMcC Presents Battle of the Bands
* Arlee at Tossing It Out
* Mike at Mike’s Ramblings
* Cathy at Curious As A Cathy
* Mary B at Jingle Jangle Jungle
* Debbie at The Doglady’s Den
* Cherdo at Cherdo On The Flipside
* Ai at Ai Love Music
* Michele at Angels Bark
I’ll tally the votes and announce the winner in one week, on Friday, November 22. And remember, anyone can vote: you don’t have to be an expert or have a battle of your own to tell me which one you like better. The more the merrier, I say.
The lines are now open. Good luck to Messrs. Keaggy and Blackman!