Wasn’t sure what I would be doing today, then I found a bunch of harmonica players on YouTube and knew I had my theme. I’ll probably be stuck in some cases for something to say about them, but I’ll tell you whatever I can and let you do some searching.
- Filip Jers and Emil Ernebro, "Moon River" Sweden’s Filip Jers is generally known as "Sweden’s Harmonica Sensation." Here he does a duet with guitarist Emil Ernebro (who has been featured here before) on the Henry Mancini-Johnny Mercer song from Breakfast At Tiffany’s.
- Roly Platt, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" Canadian harmonicist Roly Platt hs two albums, Tangled Roots with Wayne Buttery and his debut solo album Inside Out. This is from the latter.
- Charlie McCoy, "Georgia On My Mind" From Oak Hill, West Virginia, Charlie McCoy has been a mainstay in Nashville, where he’s played with Elvis, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton and a host of other musicians. He was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2006.
- Buddy Greene, "Orange Blossom Special" Buddy Greene got his professional start playing rhythm guitar and harmonica with Jerry Reed for four years. He moved to Nashville in 1984 and recorded his first solo album in 1986. Since then he’s played with Bill and Gloria Gaither, Charlie Peacock, Bela Fleck, and others. He’s also a songwriter and among other songs wrote the beautiful "Mary Did You Know," a favorite at Christmastime.
- Indiara Sfair, "Improvisation in C Minor" Indiara Sfair was born in Curitiba in southern Brazil and graduated from the School of Fine Arts at Paraná, and has worked on several Blues and Jazz projects since. The link takes you to her Facebook page; she also has an Instagram and a YouTube channel.
- Nederlands Concertkoor, "Man With A Harmonica (from Once Upon A Time In The West)" Hermine Deurloo, who plays harmonica here, is a jazz chromatic harmonicist from Amsterdam. She has four albums and tours primarily in The Netherlands.
- Aiden & Evelyn, "Just The Way You Are (Bruno Mars cover)" Aiden & Evelyn are a married couple from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. They’re a two-time world champion duo and their website tells us they’re the most popular harmonica duo in the world.
- Christelle Berthon, "Hey Jude" Christelle picked up the harmonica at the age of 24 as a diversion from her oboe studies. After a twelve-year hiatus, a woman she knew, knowing that she had played, gave her a harmonica in 2006, and she started a YouTube channel to share her work.
- Alfredo Redondo (aka Harmonicalf), "November Rain (Guns ‘n’ Roses Cover)" Not able to find much on Alf other than his YouTube channel and his Facebook page, but I’m sure you’ll agree with me that he is a fine harmonicist.
- John Barry, "Midnight Cowboy" John Barry was a composer of film and TV scores as well as a player of keyboards, drums, trumpet and harmonica. He wrote the score for a number of James Bond movies as well as for the movie Midnight Cowboy, for which he also played harmonica.
And that’s Monday’s Music Moves Me for November 18, 2019.