Michelle, our guest conductor for this month, gave us this assignment:
Tentative as in relationship as in one that you’re unsure of; can be personal or spiritual.
Okay! Here are ten songs I’ve come up with, and I’ll try to explain what I was thinking when I chose each.
- James Cotton, "Love Me Or Leave Me" One of those "whatcha wanna do, woman? Make up your damn mind! You’re making me crazy!" songs.
- Young Rascals, "How Can I Be Sure" Eddie Brigati might look like his teeth are going in all different directions, but he has a great voice and this is one of my favorite songs, and the title pretty much says it all: "I know I love you, what about you?"
- Gary Puckett & The Union Gap, "Woman, Woman" Here’s a guy who thinks his woman is stepping out on him. He’s on the verge of breaking down, wracking his brain, wondering why he isn’t enough…
- Kenny Rogers & The First Edition, "Ruby, Don’t Take Your Love To Town" Kind of the same as the last one, except the guy was badly injured in Vietnam, hasn’t much time left, and wants to know where his wife is going. Vic Dana and Mel Tillis wrote two potential answers to this, one by Geraldine "Dodie" Stevens, the other by Dori Helms. You be the judge.
- Robert Cray, "Right Next Door (Because Of Me)" Here we have a guy who has broken up a marriage and he’s not sure what to do.
- The Beatles, "I Don’t Want To Spoil The Party" You go to a party, expecting the love of your life to show up, and she doesn’t. Is she stepping out on you, is she on her way, is she washing her hair… why isn’t she there?
- Carl Perkins, "Honey Don’t" Another example of a girl driving the man who loves her crazy…
- Junior Wells, "Stop Breakin’ Down" Do you really love me, or do you just like the way my music sounds?
- Little Walter, "Confessin’ The Blues" I’m pouring my heart to you, baby… do you understand?
- Yvonne Elliman, "I Don’t Know How To Love Him" Oh boy… everyone knows the story of the Son of God and the slut. It’s the first time Mary Magdalene has met a man who treats her right, one who’s willing to die for her, and she doesn’t know what to do. Hers is a world of one-night stands, his is all about eternity. What does she do?
And that’s Monday’s Music Moves Me for January 20, 2020.