We’ve talked about WJJD a few times in the past. As far as I can tell, it was the first station to adopt a Top 40 format in Chicago, doing so in 1958. When WLS entered the picture in 1960, WJJD’s ratings slipped, so they moved to an adult standards format, gradually changing over to country by 1965. Now it’s WYLL, a religious broadcaster. Anyway, here’s their survey from February 13, 1961. You’ll note that there aren’t that many songs with vocals…
NOTE: Gutenberg ate an hour’s worth of work, so I’ll just list the songs and leave it at that today. All right?
- Bert Kaempfert, “Wonderland By Night”
- Shelby Flint, “Angel On My Shoulder”
- Buzz Clifford, “Baby Sittin’ Boogie”
- Church Street Five, “A Night With Daddy G”
- The Striung-A-Longs, “Wheels”
- The Royaltones, “Flamingo Express”
- Ferrante & Teicher, “Theme From Exodus“
- The Shirelles, “Will You Love Me Tomorrow”
- Jørgen Ingmann, “Apache”
- Lawrence Welk, “Calcutta”
And that’s the Friday 5×2 for February 14, 2020.