So far, I’ve been able to handle the challenge I set up for myself without having to rely on words like "reenter" (to enter again) and "redeploy" (to deploy again), but I hit K and was totally at a loss. I checked a couple of Scrabble dictionaries online, and all the words were "re" followed by a verb.
Anyway, to rekey a lock is to replace the tumblers in a lock so that the old key won’t unlock it. If, for example, you intend on locking someone out permanently (like an estranged spouse), you call a locksmith and have him replace the lock. When he does that, he gives you new keys. That’s rekeying.
I read an article recently that said that one of the first thing you should do when moving into a new house is to replace all the locks. That way, if a person you don’t know has a key, you can keep him or her from entering the house and going through your stuff. (Of course, when we moved in, we never had the locks changed. Fortunately, apparently no one else had a key.) The same thing holds true if you’re renting a place, except it’s the landlord’s job to do that, and he pays for the work. And, as you might guess, the landlord has a right to have a key, because, after all, he owns the property.
Hotels have gotten away from having traditional keys for their rooms. When you check into a hotel these days, they issue you a key card that’s like a credit card, with a magnetic strip that has information such as your name, the room number, check-in and check-out dates, and maybe other information, like your frequent stayer number. It generates a code that the lock (which is controlled from the front desk) understands, which matches the key card. It works roughly 99.5% of the time; the other 0.5% of the time, you end up having to go down to the desk and have them create new key cards and change the lock. One time, I left the room to get a Coke, came back, and the key card wouldn’t let me into the room…