In my never-ending quest to choose songs that I don’t think anyone else will choose, I took the theme of “angel” and had fun with it. Here are 15 songs I came up with.
- Pentatonix, “Angels We Have Heard On High” We start with a Christmas carol. There are two very popular Christmas carols that talk about angels; this is the other.
- Kitty Wells, “It Wasn’t God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels” Written by J. D. Miller and originally sung by Kitty Wells, it was an “answer” song to Hank Williams’s “The Wild Side Of Life.”
- Tavares, “Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel” An international hit for Tavares, this was issued on a single with part 1 on the A side and part 2 on the B side. Here are both sides uninterrupted.
- Opening and Closing Theme from Touched By An Angel The opening theme was sung by Della Reese, who also starred in the show with Roma Downey.
- Randy Edelman, “The Wave (theme song from Angels In The Outfield) The 1994 remake of the 1951 classic, starring Danny Glover.
- Madonna, “Angel” From her 1984 album Like A Virgin, this was the followup to “Material Girl.” It reached #5 in the US and Canada.
- Merrilee Rush, “Angel Of The Morning” A classic from 1968. Was written by Chip Taylor, who I saw in the comments for this song is Jon Voight’s brother and therefore Angeline Jolie’s uncle.
- Ricky Nelson, “Fools Rush In (Where Angels Fear To Tread)” A 1940 song by Johnny Mercer and Rube Bloom, covered by Ricky Nelson in 1963. It reached #12 and is the most famous version of the song.
- Bobby Vee, “Devil Or Angel” Done originally by The Clovers in 1955, Bobby’s version was from 1960 and was his first Top 10 hit, reaching #6.
- Shelley Fabares, “Johnny Angel” Shelley, who had starred on The Donna Reed Show (from which the clip was taken), took this to #1 in 1962.
- Everlast, “Saving Grace” Theme song for the USA Network TV show of the same name, which starred Holly Hunter. The premise of the show was that an angel (played by Leon Rippy) offers to help Grace Hanadarko (Hunter), an Oklahoma City detective, reform her life. Thus, it got included.
- Elvis Presley, Devil In Disguise” “You look like an angel, talk like an angel…” I couldn’t resist.
- Randy Newman with Valerie Carter, “Heaven Is My Home” From the 1996 movie Michael with John Travolta as St. Michael The Archangel, who is traced by two tabloid reporters to the home of an old woman where Michael is staying.
- Spike Jones, “I’m The Angel In The Christmas Play” From the album It’s A Spike Jones Christmas.
- “Heaven Sent” perfume commercial from the 1960’s Has what I consider to be the greatest line ever written in a song: “Suddenly, you’re an imp wearing angel’s wings.”
And that’s Monday’s Music Moves Me for April 27, 2020.