The best thing that we can say about 2020 is that it’ll be over in less than four days. I have a feeling that rather than yelling "Happy New Year!" when 2021 arrives, many of us will be yelling "F— off, 2020!"
I started this year’s New Year’s playlit with songs I’ve done countless times in the past, then found a whole bunch of mew ones that I think will put us in a much better mood as 2021 rolls around. Hope you like it!
- Pentatonix, "New Year’s Day": This song is a few years old (I used it my first year of doing MMMM) but it’s a hopeful one about leaving the old year behind us and concerning ourselves with what’s to come. Good things, I hope.
- George Harrison, "Ding Dong, Ding Dong": The story goes that George sat down to write a song for New Year’s. As with everything George does, this is excellent.
- Charles Brown, "Bringing In A Brand New Year": Charles is ready to party in the New Year.
- The McGuire Sisters, "Happy New Year": Christine, Phyllis, and Dorothy hoping that the snow is whiter and the sun is brighter, something we can all get behind.
- Bing Crosby, "Let’s Start The New Year Right": From 1942’s Holiday Inn (hope I got that right…)
- Kondattam Music, "Happy New Year Song 2021": This is a production company out of India, and while the song isn’t terribly melodic, the colors are beautiful and the sentiment expressed is a good one.
- Johnny Otis Orchestra, "Happy New Year, Baby": A nice coincidence that today is (or would be) Johnny’s birthday. This is a classic from the "Godfather of Rhythm & Blues."
- Lightnin’ Hopkins, "Happy New Year": A little country blues from one of its greatest practitioners.
- Lonnie Johnson, "New Year’s Blues": Lonnie was a really talented musician who could play jazz guitar and violin (one of the first to play it in a jazz setting) and was a talented songwriter and singer who was a little chagrined that people only saw him as a blues guy…
- Connie Francis, "Happy New Year Baby": Miss Concetta certainly has it right: this is a year we won’t forget, much as we’d like to.
Happy New Year! That’s the last Monday’s Music Moves Me for 2020.