In these days of the coronavirus, Mary and I have discovered that DoorDash is a lifesaver. If Mary doesn’t feel like cooking, she tells me to order something, or sometimes I’ll suggest we go that route. Our five favorite restaurants that we can order from DoorDash:
- Five Guys: They sell burgers, fries, and shakes as well as some other items, such as Mary’s current favorite, the grilled cheese sandwich made from an inside-out hamburger bun. Their regular cheeseburger is a double cheeseburger; if you want a single, that’s a "little cheeseburger." The quality of the meat in them is excellent, better than most of the other fast food places. A "little fries" is enough for Mary and me. Their shakes are the real thing, not what you get from McDonalds that turns into some gelatinous mass of goop after an hour. You pay a lot, but I think it’s worth it.
- O’Charley’s: A chain of casual dining restaurants mostly in the Southeast. I particularly like their chicken tenders (which are easy for me to eat one-handed), while Mary will get a steak, a salad, or a French dip. They’re reliable, and offer pretty good bargains on their gift cards ($50 gift card for $40, up from $35), so we get a few of those and use them to pay there.
- New Lucky China: The Chinese restaurant in the area. They also offer Thai food and sushi. We’ve made a meal out of their egg rolls alone, but their other dishes are good as well. I have been going with Cashew Chicken lately, but also like their Kung Pao Chicken and General Tso’s Chicken. Mary likes the Sesame Chicken.
- Jim ‘n’ Nick’s: A great barbecue place, though once again I generally go with their chicken tenders, which are tender and juicy. Mary likes the brisket and their Pig In The Garden salad, which is a large salad with a generous portion of pulled pork on top. They have excellent small muffins which are served with every meal, and even sell the muffin mix in the store. We should try that sometime…
- Jersey Mike’s: A great sandwich place. Mary and I can make a meal out of one of their giant sandwiches, and often do. My preference is for the Italian sub (Provolone, ham, prosciutto, pepperoni, cappicola, and salami) done "Mike’s way" (onions, lettuce, tomatoes, vinegar, oil and spices). Mary also likes their Big Kahuna cheesesteak (though she generally has them leave off the jalapeños).
We have lots of other restaurants in the neighborhood, but those are the big five.