Gerry Goffin and Carole King were a husband-and-wife songwriting team who were married from 1959 to 1969 and whose main body of work was written during that period. After their divorce, Goffin continued to write songs with other composers while Carole became a performer in her own right as well as continuing to write songs.
The list below is of all their highest-ranking songs on the Billboard Hot 100. There are four #1 songs, while the fifth, “Pleasant Valley Sunday,” was a #3 hit for the Monkees in 1967.
- The Shirelles, “Will You Love Me Toimorrow”
- Bobby Vee, “Take Good Care Of My Baby”
- Little Eva, “The Loco-motion”
- Steve Lawrence, “Go Away Little Girl”
- The Monkees, “Pleasant Valley Sunday”
Gerry Goffin and Carole King, you Five For Friday, September 23, 2022.