Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich were singers, songwriters, producers and, briefly, husband and wife. They wrote together exclusively from their 1962 marriage until their divorce in 1965, and wrote a few songs through 1967. They were the subject of the 1984 show Leader of the Pack. Many of their songs were written with Phil Spector, whose girl groups sang many of them. Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoiller brought them to their record label, Red Bird Records, both a producers and songwriters. Ellie discovered Neil Diamond in 1966 and they worked with him until 1967. The Wikipedia article has much more information on Jeff and Ellie, so let’s get to the music…
- The Crystals, “Da Doo Ron Ron (When He Walked Me Home)”
- The Dixie Cups, “Chapel of Love”
- The Shangri-Las, “Leader of the Pack”
- The Jelly Beans, “I Want To Love Him So Bad”
- The Ronettes, “Be My Baby”
Jeff Barry & Ellie Greenwich, your Five For Friday, December 16, 2022.