I profiled the songwriting team of Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick "Fritz" Loewe back in 2015 and said this at the time:
Alan Jay Lerner (librettist) and Frederick “Fritz” Loewe (composer) wrote ten musicals together, but those shows contained some of the most memorable songs of all time. They met at the Lambs Club in 1942; Loewe was on his way to the restroom, saw Lerner, and asked him if he wrote lyrics, which Lerner confirmed. Lerner was definitely the more dominant member of the team, often rejecting Loewe’s music even though it was perfect, believing that Loewe could do better. Nevertheless, the two men considered each other the best of friends.
Here are five songs by Lerner and Loewe for your listening enjoyment.
- Lee Marvin, "Wand’rin’ Star" – from Paint Your Wagon
- Frank Sinatra, "Almost Like Being In Love" – from Brigadoon
- Stanley Holloway, "With A Little Bit Of Luck" – from My Fair Lady
- Leslie Caron, "The Night They Invented Champagne" – from Gigi
- Richard Harris, "I Wonder What The King Is Doing Tonight" – from Camelot
Lerner & Loewe, your Five For Friday, November 25, 2022.
I originally wrote about Burt Bacharach and Hal David in 2015. Here’s what I said about them then…
I feature the music of composer Burt Bacharach and lyricist Hal David a lot here, mostly because they’ve written songs that have been covered by many artists. And the reason they’ve been covered by so many is because they’re good and popular with listeners. Wikipedia tells me that Bacharach has written 73 US and 50 UK Top 40 hits, mostly with David (a full list is here). Besides working with Hal David (who died in 2012), Bacharach has also worked with Bob Hilliard, Carole Bayer Sager, and Hal’s older brother Mack. David also worked with Albert Hammond, Sherman Edwards, and Paul Hampton.
Here are five songs I’ve chosen to represent their work. With as much great music as these two men have produced, it’s hard to pick just five, so I picked the ones I liked best.
- Dionne Warwick, “What Do You Get When You Fall In Love”
- Gene Pitney, “Only Love Can Break A Heart”
- Linda Ronstadt, “Anyone Who Had A Heart”
- Sandie Shaw, “(There’s) Always Something There To Remind Me”
- B. J. Thomas, “Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head”
That’s Five For Friday, November 18, 2022.